Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Counting My Blessings

Monday at work I had guests come to my window. They were a family of 3. Mom, Dad, and Son. The mother starts talking to me about what kind of ticket they want and the son was hitting her. She was telling him to stop and the dad took the son to the side of the window so the mom could finish the transaction with me. She asked if we had special needs pricing. Unfortunately, Disney isn't that generous. I did inform her of the special needs pass. She told me her son was autistic. I told her about Tyler and his diagnosis. She told me her son was first diagnosed w/pdd nos and as years went by, he got worse. His diagnosis now is SEVERE autism. He is 17 years old. My heart really went out to this woman. I could see the exhaustion in her eyes and made me really evaluate where Tyler is right now, and to count my blessings because it could be alot worse. Since working for Disney, I have had a handful of guests at my window whose children are autistic, and every time it hits me hard. I always have to step away from the window when I am done with their transactions and take a deep breath.

No comments: