Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Eye Exam

I took Tyler for an eye exam this afternoon.

When school started this year, the county did check ups on all the kids. I received a blue form in the mail and it stated that Ty had a "possible" vision problem. I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary at home, but his teacher said that he likes to be on her lap reading books. I went to set up the appointment last week, but needed a few days for Tyler's insurance to get the referral to the doctor's office. When I set the appointment up, I told them that Tyler was autistic and COULD NOT do a standard eye exam. I was told they would have pictures for him to look at. Well, today they try to measure his eyes, dialate them, have him read lines..NO GO! We were able to get some drops in his eyes and the doctor was kind of rude. I told the doctor, again, that Tyler was autistic and that is why he was playing with everything in the exam room. The doctor backed off and did what he needed to do and let Tyler "play" with the eye chart buttons when we were done. Based on what the doctor saw, he said Ty's vision is 20/25! No glasses for Tyler..thank god! I don't know how he would have worn glasses. He hates things on his face/eyes! Tyler will go back in a year for another check up.

Britney is next. I received a blue form for her b/c she has a lazy eye and the county is freaking about it. Makes you wonder how "accurate" the tests at school are. I know she has a lazy eye, and I had one when I was younger too. I just had to do eye exercises. I was without glasses till I was 13, so hopefully my kids can hold off till they are in their teens too!

One down, one to go!

No comments: